American Association of Endocrine Surgeons Presidential address: Beyond surgery
1. Roberts WC. Atherosclerotic risk factors–Are there ten or is there only one? Amer J Cardiol l989;64:552-4.
2. Brown C, Albers JJ, Fisher LD, Dodge ET. Regression of coronary artery disease as a result of interim lipid lowering therapy in men with high levels of apolipoprotein B. N EngI J Med 1990;323:1289-98.
3. Ornish D, Brown 5, Scherwitz L, et al. Can lifestyle changes reverse coronary heart disease? Lancet 1990;336:129-33.
4. Kane J, Malloy M, Ports T, et al. Regression of coronary atherosclerosis during treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia
with combined drug regimens. JAMA 1990;264:3007-12.
5. Blankenhorn D, Nessim S. Johnson R, et al. Benelicial effects of combined colestipol-niacin therapy on coronary atherosclero sis and coronary venous by-pass grafts. JAMA 1987;257:3233- 40.
6. Tamimi T, Wosornu L, AI-Khozaim A, et aX. Increased chole cystectomy rates in Saudi Arabia. Lancet 1990;336:1235-7.
7. Armstrong B, Doll R. Environmental factors and cancer incidence and mortality in different countries with special ref erences to dietary practice. mt J Cancer 1975;l3:617-31.
8. Buell P. Changing incidence of breast cancer in Japanese- American women. J Nad Cancer Inst 1973;5l:1479-83.
9. Bennet F, Ingram D. Diet and female sex hormone concentra tions: an intervention study for the type of fat consumed. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;52:808-12.
10. Rose D, Cohen L, Berke B, et aX. Effect of low fat diet on hor mone levels in women with cystic breast disease II. Serum ra dioimmunoassayable prolactin and growth hormone and bioac tive lactogenic hormones. J Natl Cancer Inst I 987;78:627-31.
11. Nimrod A, Ryan K. Aromatization of androgens by human ab dominal and breast fat tissue. .J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1975;
12. Cohen L, Chan P, Wynder E. The role of a high fat diet in en hancine the development of maxilinary tumors in ovariectomized
rats. Cancer 1981;47:66-71.
13. Rose D, Conolly J. Effects of fatty acids and inhibitors of cicosanoid synthesis on the growth of a human breast cancer cell line in culture. Cancer Res 1990;50:7139-44.
14. Wynder E, Hyams L, Shigematsu T. Correlations of interna tional death cancer rates. Cancer 1 967;20: 113-26.
15. Berg J. Can nutrition explain the patterns of international ep idemiology of hormone-dependent cancers? Cancer Res 1975; 33:3345-SO.
16. Araki H, Mishina T, Miyakoda K, et al. An epidemiological survey of prostatic cancer from the annals of the pathological autopsy cases in Japan. Tohoku J Exp Med 1980;230:15964.
17. Haenszel W, Kurihara M. Studies of Japanese migrant. 1. Mortality from cancer and other diseases among Japanese in the United States. J Nad Cancer Inst I 968;40:43-68.
18. Yatani 8., Chigusa 1, Akazaki K, et al. Geographic pathology of latent prostatic carcinoma. mt J Cancer 1982;29:611-6.
19. Hill P, Wynder E, Games H, Walker A. Environmental factors, hormone status, and prostatic cancer. Prey Med I 980;9:657-66.
20. Hill P, Wynder B, Garbaczewslci G, Walker A. Diet and uri nary steroids in black and whitc North American men and black South African men. Cancer Res 1979;39:5 101-S.
21. Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, et al. Relation of meat, fat, and fiber intake to the risk of colon cancer in a prospective study among women. N EngI J Med I 990;323: 1664-70.
22. Whittemore AS,Wu-W[lljams AH, Lee M, et al. Diet, phys ical activity, and colorectal cancer among Chinese in North America and China. J Nati Cancer Inst 1990;82:915-25.
23. Hill M. The role of unsaturated bile acids in the etiology of large bowel cancer. In: Hiatt H, Watson J, Winsten J, eds. Origins of human cancer. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Har bor Laboratory, 1977:1627-40.
24. Reddy B. Diet and excretion of bile acids. Cancer Res 1981; 41:3766-8.
25. Hill M, Crowther J, Drasar B, et al. Bacteria and aetiology of cancer of large bowel. Lancet 1971;l:95-200.
26. Chomac C, Bhadracharx N, Nigro N. The effect of bile on the induction of experimental intestinal tumors in rats. Dis Colon Rectum 1974;17:3l0-2.
27. Reddy B, Watanobe K, Weisburger J, Wynder B. Promoting effects of bile acids in colon carcinogenesis in germ free and con ventional F 344 rats. Cancer Res 1977;37:3238-42.
28. Goldin BR, Swenson L, Dwyer J, et al. Effect of diet and lac. tabacillus acidophilus supplements on human fecal bacterial enzymes. J Nati Cancer Inst 1980;64:25S-61.
29. Walker AR, Richardson B, Walker F. The influence of numer ous pregnancies and lactations on bone dimensions in South Af rican Bantu and Caucasian mothers. Clin Sc 1972;42:l 89-96.
30. Walker AR. Osteoporosis and calcium deficiency. Am J Clin Nutr 1965;16:327-36.
31. Smith RWJR, Rizekj. Epidemiologic studies of osteoporosis in women of Puerto Rico and Southeastern Michigan with special reference to age, race, national origin, and to other related or as. sociated findings. Clin Orthop I 966;45:3 1.48.
32. Mazess R, Mather W. Bone mineral content of North Alaskan Eskimos. Am J Clin Nutr 1974;27:916-25.
33. Walker 8., Linkswiler H. Calcium retention in the adult human male as affected by protein intake. J Nutr 1972;102:1297-302.
34. Rekha C, Linkswiler H. Effect of protein intake on calcium balance of young men given 500 mg calcium daily. J Nutr 1974; 104:695-700.
35. Allen LH, Odoloyc EA, Margen S. Protein induced hypercal curia: a long term study. Am J Clin Nutr. 1979;32:741-9.
36. Blank RP, Diehl HA, Ballard GT, Melendez RC. Calcium metabolism and osteoporotic ridge resorption: a protein connec tion. J Prosthet Dent 1987;58:590-4.
37. McDougall J. Osteoporosis. McDougall’s Medicine. New Century Publishers, Inc. 1985:61-94.
38. Lewis C, Clancy C, Leake B, Schwartz S. The counseling prac tices of internists. Ann Intern Med 1991;114:54-8.
39. Schwartz JS, Lewis C, Clancy C, et al. Internists practices in health promotion and disease prevention. Ann Intern Med 1991;114:46-53.
40. Burkitt D. An approach to the reduction of the most common Western cancers. Arch Suing 199 1;126:345-7.